Tuesday 1 January 2019

# 10 # 2018

MY TOP 10 BOOKS OF 2018 + HONOURABLE MENTIONS



I had ups and downs when reading in 2018. I usually start off strong in the first couple of months of the year, this time however, I was incredibly busy with packing up my apartment to move houses and going overseas for four weeks - and I don't tend to do a lot of reading when I'm travelling.

I also wanted to include some honourable mentions that didn't make the top 10 but were still something I'd rave about - this isn't included in my video because I forgot haha. Also here is the video version if you'd like to hear me talk about it.



MY TOP 10 BOOKS OF 2018: (in no particular order except for the last one which is my FAVE of the year)

10. This Savage Song - V.E. Schwab
I love the concept of monsters - I feel like the idea was taken from previous supernatural creatures and developed into the author's own original idea and I loved it.

9. Hero at the Fall - Alwyn Hamilton
Full review here; a super exciting yet emotional end to a trilogy. I love the fantasy elements and glad there was more depth in this book, also the cover is to die for.

8. The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas
Surrounding the Black Lives Matter movement gives it an edge that is relevant and diverse however, all the other aspects made for a perfectly executed story. Also, there are a few Harry Potter references.

7. Reign the Earth - A.C. Gaughen
Trigger warnings: domestic violence; full review here.
I love the fantasy elements in this story and how dark it got (though not for everyone). The main character is one to admire and I'm looking forward to the next book.

6. Restore Me - Tahereh Mafi
Warner, need I say more? Ok, I don't want to get carried away but the author wrote this book so amazingly - her writing developed so well since Ignite Me (IMO) and the world building and addition of new characters was amazing.

5. The Cruel Prince - Holly Black
This gave me mad ACOTAR vibes which I didn't always like however, this book was well written otherwise and the main character is a badass and I admire her.

4. Obsidio - Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
I'm sad The Illuminae Files came to an end but oh how much I loved this book... The new characters, along with the rest of our faves made for a bittersweet ending whilst seeing what else the heck our favourite AI gets up to.

3. Salt to the Sea - Ruta Sepetys
A great introduction to historical fiction if you're looking for it. This is set in WW2 times with the POV from four very different characters. A very emotional read! Audiobook is narrated well.

2. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman
Trigger warnings: PTSD, depression, anxiety, alcohol addiction
I went into this book not really knowing what to expect and as it turns out, I enjoyed it immensely. As the story went on I found I was truly empathetic with the MC and while it was an emotional ride, it made me feel very content by the end. Recommend the audiobook.

1. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Taylor Jenkins Reid
This book... I didn't know too much going into it but I it took over my thoughts for days - it was literally on my mind all the time so I definitely recommend setting aside some time to read uninterrupted to consume it whole. Written SO WELL, this book gave me everything I never knew I needed. Audiobook was amazing and recommend!


HONOURABLE MENTIONS:

The Lara Jean trilogy - Jenny Han; while I didn't love everything about this series, it surprised me so much that I had to include it here. The audiobooks are mega addictive!

The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris; a heart breaking true story that gave me knowledge and grief. If you're keen to read this story and you're very much into an author's writing and depth - don't expect too much. The author wrote this with respect to the person who's view it is from and you cannot blame one for not giving every single detail of their time in a concentration camp during WW2.

A Reaper at the Gates - Sabaa Tahir; after waiting what felt like a decade for this book (book three /4), I read this as slowly as one could. I think this is my favourite in the series so far even if it made me want to die on the inside and I got tears on the pages. The author's writing and original story is an absolute wonder. This would've definitely made it on the list if it was a 'Top 11'.

We See Everything - William Sutcliffe; a standalone dystopian novel that I didn't really expect much from - I also went into it not knowing too much which perhaps made it better. The two MC's never meet but their lives cross paths under unfortunate circumstances. Full review here.


THANKS FOR READING
And may your 2019 bring you great stories.

-----


WHERE YOU CAN FIND ME:



Contact: erenabennett@hotmail.com
Instagram: @erenareads & @thenutritionedition
Goodreads: @erenareads
Twitter: @erenareads
YouTube: Life of Erena or click here

Follow my blog with Bloglovin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment