Monday 17 December 2018

# adult # australian

A story about life and loss: book review

Spoiler free book review


Title: We See Everything
Author: William Sutcliffe
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication date: December 2017
RRP: AU $16.99 (paperback)

Synopsis:
A gripping and powerfully relevant thriller set in a future London where constant surveillance is the norm, We See Everything simmers with tension and emotion.
Lex lives on The Strip - the overcrowded, closed-off, bombed-out, shell of London. He's used to the watchful enemy drones that buzz in the air above him.
Alan's talent as a gamer has landed him the job of his dreams. At a military base in a secret location, he is about to start work as a drone pilot.
These two young men will never meet, but their lives are destined to collide. Because Alan has just been assigned a high-profile target. Alan knows him only as #K622. But Lex calls him Dad.

---

I received this book quite a long time ago but never considered picking it up - it didn't draw me in. Until recently when I was scouring my bookshelves for a book to read off my never ending TBR. I picked it up because it was on the smaller side and was keen for a quick read, I soon realised it was a dystopian - a genre that always peaks my interest!


This book follows the point of views of two young male characters, switching each chapter. One works for the military, Alan, and the other, Lex, is the son of a person of interest that Alan is tasked with watching through drones. Initially I favoured reading Lex's chapters however, I soon found I was eager to read from both characters.

The first couple of chapters start off fairly intense and then becomes a 'seven months later' transition, though it continues to be somewhat intense, like many quick dystopians. The storyline is pretty clear and I was constantly wondering how it would end (like I do with most books). For such a short book, the world building was done fairly well - I had a mental map of this future London constantly in my head.

I feel like most readers will favour one particular character over the other and it'll be obvious why. One of them is in a situation that makes you feel sorry for them and you perhaps connect with them, whereas our other character, is not someone you pity, and seems rather arrogant however, as the story goes on, you'll find you might connect with the character a little bit, or at least like them a little more.


We See Everything has great PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) representation in it - something that is very personal to me and a mental health issue I don't find often in books. Some people might not know it's there but as someone who has experienced it first hand, I can see it, and it was well done.

Overall, this book made me feel certain emotions I haven't felt from a book in a long time and I highly recommend this one if you're looking for either a standalone dystopian and/or a quick read.

Rating: 4.5/5


----

*This book was sent to me unsolicited by Bloomsbury Australia. All opinions are my own.


WHERE YOU CAN FIND ME:



Contact: erenabennett@hotmail.com
Instagram: @erenareads & @thenutritionedition
Goodreads: @erenareads
Twitter: @erenareads
YouTube: Life of Erena or click here

Follow my blog with Bloglovin'!

1 comment:

  1. not only its dystopian but the fact about PTSD involved make me drawn into it moree. Hello there erena ^^

    The Hundred Pages | Eyqa Zq

    ReplyDelete