Saturday 2 January 2016

# 2015 # 2016

Erena Reviews: December & January TBR

First off, welcome to the new year. I had a pretty decent 2015 - holidays, applying for uni, hanging out with family and friends and lots and lots of reading. I will write another post (very soon) with my list for 2015, highlighting some of the good books and if there was a thing or two to say about other books I wasn't so happy with.

This post is once again, my mini reviews for the books I read in December and I'm also combining it with my January To Be Read (TBR).

I read four books this month, three of those have definitely made my top 10 of 2015! It'll be obvious by the ratings :)

BOOKS



1. Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard
There were plenty of people raving about this book but I went in with a clear head and not thinking too much about expectations, etc. This is now one of my absolute favourites! First of all, Red Queen is dystopian/fantasy and follows 'Red' girl Mare Barrow whom picks pockets in her poor town. In her world, there are the 'Reds' and the 'Silvers'; The silver blooded beings have all sorts of different powers and live in riches, whereas the red blooded are nothing special and so on. Though Mare and the rest of the royals soon find out she is something different and it goes from there. The writing is spot on, it flowed so easily and I kept reading and reading until it was all gone. Glass Sword is the sequel to come out in the coming months which I am very much looking forward to. 5/5



2. Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda - Becky Albertalli
"Straight people should have to come out too. The more awkward it is, the better." Simon has been emailing Blue - both whom are gay, but don't know the true identity of each other yet go to the same school. Someone finds out about Simon's emails and starts blackmailing him in order to gain what he wants. This was such an easy and funny read that can quite honestly, depict real life. You get to follow this through Simon's point of view and some of the emails between Simon and Blue - which I really enjoy. I won't go on too much but if you're looking for something light and a little funny, this is it. 5/5



3. My True Love Gave to Me - Various Authors, edited by Stephanie Perkins
12 authors, 12 holiday stories. I'm not one to 'season-read' however, a few people were reading this and I decided to give it ago - enticed by the short story concept. They all take place around the Christmas/New Year holiday season and most were pretty good. There were some that were not properly finished - they needed more than a short story so that was disappointing. But there were some stories in there that were just so cute and I really enjoyed. 4/5



4. Snow Like Ashes - Sara Raasch
This book felt like Red Queen combined with combined with A Court of Thorns and Roses but more action added into it. I started off reading this quite slowly - perhaps the busyness of the holiday season slowed me down? Once I got about half way, I just wanted more and more. Meira is from Winter but no one has been there since it was destroyed and majority of its villagers were taken to work in the Spring work camps as slaves. The refugee group have been living in various parts of other seasons working to try gain their freedom and their home back from Spring. Loved, loved, loved this book, I love stories like this! Ice Like Fire is book two and is already out however, I have to refrain from buying it until I read more of my unread books on my shelf. 5/5


JANUARY TBR

1. Soundless - Richelle Mead

2. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs

3. A Thousand Pieces of You - Claudia Gray

4. Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo




These four books are what I definitely want to read this month (and I've actually just finished Soundless!) I will more than likely read on my kindle or iPad at work as it's much easier and maybe pick up one of the books I've put down and try to finish them.

That's all today! I'll see you soon for my full 2015 book list.

Take care!
xx

Where you can find me

Email: erenabennett@gmail.com
Instagram: @erena_b
Bookstagram: @erenareads
Goodreads: @erenareads

Follow me with Bloglovin' !

No comments:

Post a Comment