Tuesday 27 March 2018

# 20th anniversary # a history of magic

Going on a journey through A History of Magic

Would you call this a review?

Book: Harry Potter: A History of Magic
RRP: $49.99 AUD

Book: Harry Potter: A Journey Through a History of Magic
RRP: $21.99 AUD

Publication date: 6 November 2017
Publisher: Bloomsbury


*Major Harry Potter fan alert*


If you know me even a little, you'll likely know I'm a bit in love with the Harry Potter franchise. Bonus points if you know my Hogwarts house, it is on my Instagram bio though... *whispers* Slytherin.



Anyways, my day got 110% better when these two new additions to the franchise rocked up on my doorstep (actually, I think it was more like I wasn't home so I had to go pick it up from the post office and it was really heavy). So you'll see I mentioned two books (titles above) and they seem like they'd be pretty similar, and I guess they follow the same sort of....topic however, one is INCREDIBLY in depth - I have not read it all, nor even half of it, it is huge! But I have read what you could call a 'junior' version. This version is a very informative yet fun edition that lets you look into the history of magic at Hogwarts. You get some super cool stuff on the subjects (even that wretched Divination!), you hear more about the Hogwarts professors, magical creatures (hello Fluffy!) and all things magic!


I was also meant to tell you I received these books in like November or something - it was ages ago. I was obsessed when I got them (still am to be honest) and after reading little bits here and there and constantly flicking through, I moved, then I went on holiday, then I came up, then I started back at university. Now I'm sitting here, like... what on Earth am I doing not showing anyone what's going on in these books? Yes, Bloomsbury sent them to me, and 100% yes I want to show the world why you need at least one of these books!


The detail in both of these books are insane. You truely get up close and personal with everything Harry Potter world related. Things you may have seen a snippet of in the movies and books are told in more detail, then even more content that branches off of that. These books are for all the Hermione Grangers' that want to know more about this well known world.



I adore the information we get about all the animals and magical creatures. Even the creatures that are known to this muggle world are given a fairytale-like description and I'm gonna say that you'll likely never read about owls in this kind of way again.


One of the interactive elements of this book are the activities that pop up. The one pictured below is to discover an inscription carved on the Mirror of Erised. And if you're into divination, there is an activity where you can decipher what the lines on your palm mean.


One of my most favourite things about this book are the notes that JK wrote on the manuscripts of the novels. Behold her creativity in her planning of the seven books and see what was in the works before any of the books were published - it is seriously insane. See her drawings of the Hogwarts grounds where it all started, all filled with annotations. Her sketches of Diagon Alley are featured and the background behind it how it all began.


Discover a world full of magic with both or either of these books. You'll see the beautiful work of Jim Kay, the secrets we never knew hiding in every tube of the potions classrooms, and where everything began for Harry Potter and how it was almost never published. I highly recommend these books for the lovers of this world, though if you're buying for a child, I would recommend the blue book: A Journey Through a History of Magic because it'll be a lot less words going on.


Enjoy your reading and studying of the Hogwarts subjects and perhaps I'll see you at next year's sorting ceremony.



----

*These books were sent to me by Bloomsbury Australia. All opinions are my own.


WHERE YOU CAN FIND ME:

Contact: erenabennett@hotmail.com
Instagram: @erenareads & @erena_b
Goodreads: @erenareads
Twitter: @erenareads
YouTube: My Life As Erena or click here

Follow my blog with Bloglovin'!


No comments:

Post a Comment