Saturday 24 February 2018

# adult # bennett

Fab Author, New Book (review)

SPOILER-FREE BOOK REVIEW

Title: Goodbye Perfect
Author: Sara Barnard
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Publication date: 13 February 2018
RRP: $16.99

Synopsis:
Eden McKinley knows she can't count on much in this world, but she can depend on Bonnie, her solid, steady, straight-A best friend. So it's a bit of a surprise when Bonnie runs away with the boyfriend Eden knows nothing about five days before the start of their GCSEs. Especially when the police arrive on her doorstep and Eden finds out that the boyfriend is actually their music teacher, Mr Cohn.
Sworn to secrecy and bound by loyalty, only Eden knows Bonnie's location, and that's the way it has to stay, There's no way she's betraying her best friend. Not even when she's faced with police questioning, suspicious parents and her own growing doubts.
As the days pass and things begin to unravel, Eden is forced to question everything she thought she knew about the world, her best friend and herself.

------

After reading A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard, I wanted to jump on the opportunity to read Goodbye, Perfect, eager to read more from the author. The synopsis had me very intrigued, having not read a story much like this before.


The plot itself was an interesting one and likely to some, a sensitive or taboo topic. I think Barnard delivered this incredibly well so the reader doesn't accidentally romanticise student-teacher relationships. While I don't have a lot of experience in knowing much about the subject, I felt that it came across quite realistic how all the characters involved treated it.

The story, for the most of it, was easy to read and I felt very involved. It unfortunately fell short for me towards the end - I felt the build up was leading to a crazy and intense moment however, I felt kind of 'meh' about it. In saying that, it was only the end and I thought the rest of story was actually pretty good.


Our main character, for me particularly, was easy to read from the perspective of. I'm always wary of reading from a character of that age (15-16 years), simply because of my own age but I really enjoyed reading from Eden's point of view. And her boyfriend?! He (Connor) was my absolute favourite (sorry Eden!) He was such a great addition to the story and I honestly cannot see the story without him. I also really loved Eden's older sister, Valerie, too, so I was really happy that we got to know her a bit more - maybe because she was closer to my age and also a university student??

Barnard's writing is to die for, so I would highly recommend this book based simply on that. How she includes diversity into her story is perfect; there is a flow about it that makes it smooth but also known - I hope this makes sense but essentially I think some readers will relate with some of the characters and it'll make them feel good rather than judged.


If you're into Sara Barnard's style (and who isn't?!) then I definitely recommend this book. I think this is a great read for teenage readers and lovers of young adult fiction - I think my little sister will love it! Overall, an awesomely written book with a mostly great story, enjoy it!

Rating: 4/5

------

*This book was sent to me by Pan Macmillan Australia in exchange



. All opinions are my own.


WHERE YOU CAN FIND ME:

Contact: erenabennett@hotmail.com
Instagram: @erenareads & @erena_b
Goodreads: @erenareads
Twitter: @erenareads
YouTube: My Life As Erena or click here

Follow my blog with Bloglovin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment